New subdivisions like Armstrong Creek and Warralilly have resulted in a dramatic increase in careers that build. House construction teams, from design to completion have increased 1175% in the past five years.
What does a Plumber do?
A plumber plans, installs, maintains and repairs all the systems in your house which allow water and gas to flow in and out.
Where can I get trained?
At school by
- Doing year nine work experience with an employer in careers that build.
- Enrolling in the VET in Schools Certificate II with a school based traineeship where you study part time at TAFE, complete your year 12 and spend one or two days a week with your employer. You graduate with year 12, a Certificate 11 in construction, and the equivalent of up to one year of your apprenticeship completed.
At the Gordon TAFE or other registered training organisation by
- Completing a six month Full time Certificate II pre apprenticeship course. You don’t need an ATAR , but you will need a year 11 completion.
- You can take an undergraduate degree at university in Construction, Design, or Project Management
On the job
- Look for a school based apprenticeship or full time apprenticeship with G Force, an individual employer or another apprenticeship provider.
Where are the jobs for Plumber?
Where can I get experience?
Look for year 10 work experience opportunities on the GRVEC site, or ask your careers teacher or VET or VCAL coordinator. You can also ask a careers that build employer for a voluntary work opportunity.
Keep an eye on the Volunteering Geelong website.
What do I need to be good at?
- Working in a team
- Working with your hands
- Following directions
- Work related literacy and numeracy
How much do I get paid?
Starts at $40,104 and goes to around $87,270, depending on your experience and qualifications.
What can this job lead to?
Qualified construction tradesmen, including plumbers, electricians, concreters, and carpenters may go on to become business owners and operators. With further training qualified plumbers can become specialists in:
- Bush fire prevention technology
- Project management
- Roof plumbing
- Green and water conservation plumbing
- Education and training providers
- Airconditioning installation